Monday, November 19, 2007

Whole Foods at 2200

In my quest to review anything and everything in downtown Seattle, I am about to review a grocery store. I am not sure if I have ever seen a review of a grocery store before in Seattle or even if one has been attempted but here goes. Enjoy.

I am partial to Whole Foods in general and try to go there for veggies, and meats. I always get my eggs and milk there since a friend of mine told me how much hormone is in non-organic milk and eggs. Scary. I know that you can get organic foods at regular markets but it feels extra safe getting them at Whole Foods. I also appreciate that they try to encourage sustainable farming and their general environmental awareness. Their food always seems to be fresh and top quality. In those ways the Whole Foods at 2200 is no different than any other I have been to.

Where they are different is the size. Due to constrains of space in downtown the store is about 7/10th scale compared to most "full" Whole Foods markets I have been to. They tend to have most of the departments found at other stores. However, the selections and variety is a bit lower meaning that there are only 20 different olive oils to chose from instead of the usual 35. The areas that affect me the most are the high end deli, wine and produce. The prepared food section does not seem to be any smaller although they do not have a crepe station.

The store itself is very clean and well organized as all Whole Foods. They have good decor; kind of upscale farmer's market. I once read an interview with the CEO of Costco who said that he has a hard time not buying more than he intended every time he goes to a Whole Foods. I agree. There is something about the store that makes you buy more. The parking for the store is fantastic. The garage is new with large parking spaces, there is always room and you get 90 minutes free as long as you buy $15. The staff is nice and very knowledgeable. They are happy to answer questions and I can't even count how many free cheese samples they let me have. Even the parking attendant says "thank you" as you leave.

I only have a few gripes with them. It actually involves Whole Foods in general and not this store in particular. First, you do pay a premium to shop there. I usually figure I spend 15-20% more than if I had just gone to my local Safeway. This is partially offset by what I consider to be better quality foods (this may or may not be a reality). Also, considering what they stand for and try to do I don't mind paying the difference. Another bother is that they simply do not carry some common products because they do not meet Whole Foods standards. Therefore, although I have pretty much been able to buy a bottle of Coca-Cola in the most remote parts of the world, I cannot buy it at Whole Foods. Last, I usually find that the prepared foods look and smell great but taste just ordinary. These do not take away from my general high opinion of Whole Foods and this store in particular. On Denny and Westlake. Here are the scores; I follow the Zagat format.

Merchandise: 27
Store/decor: 24
Service: 26
Cost: 15-20% over a generic grocery

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/westlake/index.html

No comments: