Sunday, November 18, 2007

CJ's in BT


My dearest is complaining that I am cranky and critical today. That's what happens when I don't get attention for a whole day, babe. To cheer her up and prove I'm no cynic, I am going to write a review of CJ's restaurant in Belltown. Those who do not live close by might not realize that it is actually a thriving business. This is because they only open for breakfast and lunch. They tried a couple of times serving dinner but didn't seem to have had much success. Go there in the morning especially on weekends, however, and you are guaranteed a wait before being seated.

This is a good, old fashioned diner; plain and simple. The food is tasty and hearty and there is plenty of it considering how little you are paying for it in Belltown. I like the barnyard omelet. What is it about crispy bacon and cheese in an egg blanket? Their hash browns are always creamy on the inside and crispy on the outside. The pancakes are as large as my head. I also like the fact that they didn't try to make the decor into some folksy imitation of what people imagine a diner to be. It is open, clean and simple; perfect for this sort of thing.

The service is surprisingly fast and friendly considering how crazy they get at times. If you go before 9am on weekdays you get a small price break on a few dishes. Going there often makes my tummy and heart all warm. See honey, I told you I had it in me. On 1st between Cedar and Vine. Here are the scores; I follow the Zagat format.

Food: 20
Decor: 17
Service: 20
Cost: Breakfast $12

No web site
206-728-1648

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love CJ's. By far the best breakfast in Belltown.