Tuesday, November 20, 2007

2 of every bagel, please


Having lived on the east coast, it is hard to find a decent bagel in Seattle. New Yorkers say that it's the water that makes their bagels so good. If that's the case, I wish someone would ship some over. The only reasonable facsimile in the area I found is Noah's. I know, I know; it's a chain. They seem to have started in California and have locations in CA, Oregon and here in Washington. I go to the one in Queen Anne since it is the closest.

Let's get this out of the way first. The bagels are OK but not great. I don't think it's from a lack of effort; maybe it IS the water. It's hard to describe but the best I can do is that they are just not chewy enough when toasted. They do have many different kinds and I usually go for the super onion or blueberry (heretic). When I feel adventurous I go for a "shmear" of tomato basil or strawberry (heretic squared). They have other items as well including breakfast sandwiches, bagel dogs and lunch items.

The decor is clean and reminds me almost of a corner shop in France. It is small meaning that it's hard to find a seat at times. Service is courteous and prompt with customers in line giving orders then picking up as they get filled. They do have a following as evidenced by the line in the mornings. The major gripe of going there for me is always parking. It can get BAD. I think I once circled for 20 minutes before giving up. If you feel lucky, you can park at the Safeway across the street. On Queen Anne and Boston. Here are the scores; I follow the Zagat format. P.S.-let me know if you know a better place for bagels.

Food: 18
Decor: 16
Service: 20
Cost: Breakfast $6

http://www.noahs.com/index2.html
206-282-6744

No comments: