Thursday, January 10, 2008

India Bistro


I am so fond of indian cuisine with beer that I wonder if I'm part english. In any case, I have been pleasantly surprised at the number of indian restaurants in Seattle and many are quite good. My vote for best goes to India Bistro. They have two locations; one in Ballard and one in Roosevelt. I go to the one in Ballard because... actually I don't know why. All the familiar dishes are there, from biriyani and tandoori to my favorites chicken vindaloo and tikka masala. Indian food is all about herbs and spices and India Bistro does not disappoint. The favors are intense and well proportioned and completely infused into the meat. The nan tastes freshly cooked. They have vegetarian dishes for those who so choose. Most of their dishes cost way less than $10 which puts them over the top. My only complaint is that they don't have Guinness.

The decor is clean and on the simple side although looks romantic in candlelight with table cloth and gold/copper tableware. It looks like a good place for a first date and you often see awkward couples getting to know each other. The atmosphere is enhanced as it is always packed with a long wait of people trying to get a table (the best sign of a great restaurant). I have a request for anyone who goes; LEAVE WHEN YOU FINISH EATING! It is incredibly rude to sit around after paying the check when you can clearly see 20 people waiting in the cold. If she does not want to go back to your place at dessert, she's not going to change her mind after 30 minutes of pointless conversation.

The service is spotty and can get slow. I usually don't mind when I am paying this little for good food but it can get ridiculous at times. Finally, it is impossible to find parking in Ballard. On NW Market and Ballard NW. Here are the scores; I follow the Zagat format.

Food: 24
Decor: 18
Service: 13
Cost: $17

http://www.seattleindiabistro.com/
206-783-5080

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love India Bistro in Ballard. The tikka masala is fantastic.

There's a place on 2nd near pine (Pabla?), that I've wanted to try, but I just can't get away from IB in Ballard.

Dunno said...

Thanks for visiting. Pabla is OK and might be the best in downtown/belltown but definitely not as good as India Bistro.