Monday, January 7, 2008

Canlis


I have visited Canlis several times. The food is good but the reason I keep going is for the view. As a downtowner, I prefer the vibe of the city. However, you cannot deny the beauty of Lake Union at sunset as you see cars pass by on I-5 and sea-planes land. It reminds me of a model train set. The atmosphere of the restaurant itself compliments the view. It is high class although definitely looks better in candlelight. I describe the decor as upscale northwest cabin.

The food is mostly great and the wine list is fantastic. The first courses are cooked and assembled perfectly. I enjoy their foie gras, steak tartar and escargot. Their salads are inventive, savory and playful. I feel their main dishes don't quite live up to the lead in. They are well paired in ingredients and presented well. However, they are lacking in inventiveness and things I could find at any new american cuisine. I have also rarely seen some variability in the quality of preparation. I am not sure if I caught them on a bad night.

The service is about as good as it gets in town. They know which side to serve from and the waiters are informative and courteous. It's not perfect especially in attentiveness but then you have to pay at least double and get on a plane to find that. They make up for it by having a great valet service where they have your car ready automatically as you leave. On Aurora right before the bridge. Careful you don't go too far since getting back is a pain. Here are the scores; I follow the Zagat format.

Food: 25
Decor: 26
Service: 27
Cost: $100

http://www.canlis.com/
206-283-3313

No comments: