Saturday, November 17, 2007

Four Seasons Seattle


This is my review of the preeminent condo being developed in Seattle. It has a great view, combines the service excellence of the Four Seasons brand and is being developed by some of the most prominent figures in Seattle. It is rumored that even Bill Gates has bought a unit. Starting to feel nervous, I better be on my game!

Let me start with the showroom. The presentation center was built before the recent trend of over-the-top extravagant showrooms therefore felt a bit small. I mention this because while I saw some representations of the finishes as well as a kitchen, it was hard to picture the whole condo unit like I could at Escala or Hotel 1. The prices are sky high (of course) with units starting at about $2 million. I was a little worried at the base level of finish included in this price range; example, granite counter tops are an upgrade. Many of the smaller, lower priced homes (still over 1300sq ft) do not have water views. There is an owners lounge facing the water but it's a small condolence when your unit faces the street. The windows facing south are not full windows but slits near the ceiling due to the proximity of the building next door. I also was concerned about the floor plan of some of the units with unusual placements of rooms and hallways. I wish that Seattle condo developers would seriously consider making any unit larger than 2000sq ft at least 3 bedrooms.

The look of the building itself puzzles me. The earlier mock ups showed an all glass structure but this was changed to brown siding on the lower levels where the hotel rooms are, possibly due to cost. The location is not prime since I consider it slightly too south. Home owner dues are high around $1.25 per sq ft and considering that most units are large and there are property taxes to worry about...well, you get the picture. The parking is a little unusual as well. They are 2 spaces deep meaning that you have to park back to back. As the sales person stated, "you can let the valet do it."

Everything considered, it is still hard to argue that this will not be the signature address of the city. If you can spare the cash then I highly recommend it. However, I felt the developers leveraged that prestige into being somewhat cheap. I have no doubt that the building and units will turn out well but I couldn't help feeling nickle-and-dimed. That is precisely the opposite of how I usually feel about the Four Seasons brand which is what I find most bothersome (Four Seasons Paris is the best hotel in the world in my opinion). Here are the scores; I follow the Zagat format.

Location: 26
Building/unit quality: 26
Amenities: 29

No comments: