Tuesday, December 11, 2007

What does Purple taste like?


Purple is a local chain of wine bars/restaurants. I've been to the Woodinville and the downtown Seattle locations. This review is about the one in the city, of course. It is a decent place overall but the reason I keep going back is the decor and atmosphere.

Although it occupies a two story lot, only the back has the second story meaning the ceiling is very high for the rest. The mood is swanky and romantic at night with a circular stairway to nowhere. The place is packed even on week nights giving it a lively and "happening" feel. I usually grab a seat at the bar since I decide to go here last minute. See if you can get a couch at the bar upstairs since it is the most comfortable and has a view.

Food is OK. Their salads are fresh and savory and what I usually go for. I'm not sure if I like the small plates enough to try anything twice. The pastas are heavy like they used real cream but not bad. I find the wine list a bit limited. They offer low to mid priced decent wines but nothing special. I wish they at least offered a few higher end wines to choose from. The prices are 10-20% higher than perfect. The service is usually good and always friendly. On 4th and University. Here are the scores; I follow the Zagat format.

Food: 20
Decor: 25
Service: 22
Cost: Dinner $40

http://www.thepurplecafe.com/
206-829-2280

No comments: