Monday, December 17, 2007

Goodbye Croc!

It's sad when something that makes Seattle unique closes. It's like a little piece of the city dies. I am talking about the closure of Crocodile Cafe on 2nd and Blanchard. It was truly an institution and I don't know if anything could replace it. I know in life everything must change but it is hard to give up something that gave the area so much character. Without places like the Croc, downtown will become just some sterile, cookie-cutter collection of tall buildings. Trust me that is no city, that's downtown Bellevue. I always laugh when elected officials make a fuss over how to give developers more room to build taller and closer but don't care at all to preserve the vibrancy and spirit of downtown. I have said this a million times and I'll say it again; unless you make downtown LIVEABLE and EXCITING Seattle will never be the great city it can be. The link is to the article in Seattle PI. Good luck Croc, godspeed.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/pop/343960_crocodile18.html

Update: The Croc has opened under new ownership!

No comments: