Thursday, December 6, 2007

But Mashiko is in West Seattle!


I consider Mashiko the best sushi/japanese restaurant in the area as well as being just a cool place. How can you not like a place that calls itself the "Sushi Whore?" Hey, I'm as ticked as you are that I have to get in my car and drive 20 minutes to get there, but that's life. Shiro's and Nishino have nothing on this place. I give props to Toyoda in Lake City for their authenticity but you can't beat Mashiko for food. Mr. Hajime Sato is both owner and chef and makes the tastiest and fresh sushi and rolls in the city. The sheer variety of the menu is amazing from udon and tempura to japanese curries and authentic small plates. It's best to go as a group and share many dishes. Ask for the chicken yaki udon, nuclear spicy and you won't be disappointed. I always grab the fried soft shell crab when available.

Service can be slow but I give them a break considering how packed they are all the time. It is usually impossible to get a table as a walk-in and you can't call ahead. I used to wait an hour or more to eat here then I found the trick. Since they won't take reservations if anyone is on the waiting list (which is pretty much all the time), you call as soon as they open and voila, you can reserve a table for any time that day. Don't say I never did anything for ya.

I've heard complaints about how small, cramped and simple the decor is. This is EXACTLY how a neighborhood sushi place is supposed to look. I suggest the city of West Seattle give Mr. Sato a tax break because I am seriously considering helping him move downtown. The main problem going here is parking which is slightly better than Ballard (i.e. impossible). No pleasure without pain, right? Near SW Alaska and California SW. Here are the scores; I follow the Zagat format.

Food: 25
Decor: 18 but perfect
Service: 18
Cost: Dinner $35

206-935-4339

No comments: