Sunday, March 23, 2008

Wanna go for Thai, Tom?


In a jungle of teriyaki and cheap takeout joints there exists a conundrum in the university district named Thai Tom. On one hand, they have good food if a little too authentic. They heavily sauce their food and considering most dishes involve fish sauce, you can be left over-powered if you are not expecting it. Also, they mean spicy when they say spicy. Don't be a hero, go for 2 stars. However, stick to dishes like pad thai and garlic chicken and I doubt you could do better anywhere else in town. Considering most dishes are around $10, Thai Tom might just be the best thai value in Seattle.

On the other hand, the service is ridiculous. First, the joint is beyond small. Second, it is beyond beyond small. What I am trying to say is that it is SMALL. This means you can't get a seat in less than 30 minutes if anyone else in town wants to eat there that night. Even takeout takes long and forget about calling ahead; I've never been able to get through. The service doesn't get any better when you sit down. I try to give the waiters a break since they are always packed and they constantly deal with customers who are angry about the wait. However, the plain fact is that they are curt and slow.

The decor does have a charm to it. It is cheap but that gives it character. I also prefer restaurants that are too small to those that are too large (within limits). This way you get to see the cook prepare the dishes right in front of you. Where I have a huge problem is in just how dirty they are. The tables are sticky even when they first open and I try not to look at their floor. I've lived in New York so I almost expect bugs in restaurants but it's still not pleasant when you see it. Decide for yourself. On University NE near NE 47th. Bring cash since they don't take plastic. Here are the scores; I follow the Zagat format.

Food: 23
Decor: 7
Service: 5
Cost: Dinner $15

No web site
206-548-9548

No comments: