Friday, March 21, 2008

Perfect Oaxacan


I once heard that the best Pizza in the country is in Arizona. I know; Arizona? Well, I can't tell if this is true since I've never tried (correction; review above). However, considering that one of the best mexican food I have had is in Seattle, maybe it is not so far fetched. I have to give credit of finding La Carta de Oaxaca to my significant other as I had serious doubts of trying any mexican food in town. I used to live in Los Angeles and I have never been able to find anything close to when my mexican friends would invite me to dinner prepared by their mother. That is, until now.

I think one of the best signs of great mexican food is how un-greasy it is. The common perception of mexican food seems to be something covered in grease and cheese. This is usually overdone to the point where the taste gets completely lost. Where La Carta de Oaxaca excels is in how fresh, wholesome and light the food is. Sure they use cheese, refried tortillas, and chilies but in the correct proportions with large amounts of fresh vegetables. The flavors are so well balanced that it surprises me every time I go. The portions are small but this gives me a chance to try many dishes especially considering their prices are reasonable. My favorites are the tacos and tostadas but everything is good.

The atmosphere is fantastic. Not only is it modern and clean but there is usually a large crowd giving it a hip feel. The service can suffer when they are slammed so be prepared to wait both to get seated and get served. It's best to go with a crowd to keep each other company. My biggest beef is again with parking which is impossible in Ballard. On Ballard NW near NW Market. Here are the scores; I follow the Zagat format.

Food: 24
Decor: 21
Service: 16
Cost: Dinner $25

http://www.lacartadeoaxaca.com/
206-782-8722

No comments: