Friday, December 3, 2010

Zig Zag

In an age of forever nows, I'm always glad to find something that is timeless. More than any other joint in Seattle, The Zig Zag Cafe is that place. There are bars that try to pull this off in the decor, some better than others. That's where Zig Zag is different. I'm not sure they built it with any intention; it's just a place. Where the magic happens is behind the bar. Some of you might have heard that they were recently chosen as the best bar in the country by GQ. I can't say since I haven't been to every bar. What I can say is that I haven't gotten a better drink anywhere, in this country or any other.

The superstar, of course, is Mr. Murray Stenson. I call him "Mister" because a person who is that knowledgeable yet easy-going deserves respect. It's best to sit at the bar and just let him choose your drinks. He might ask what liquors you prefer or what drinks you typically have, but I assure you he knows more drinks than you will have in your lifetime. I have not been disappointed once, and that's the beauty of the place. In a time where every restaurant has a cocktail list 5 miles long but you can hardly get a Screwdriver mixed correctly, this place does it right. There is real dedication by the owner/operators and the staff to keep the discipline of Bartending alive. Not the flashy tricks you see on TV competitions or flesh-market bars, but the ability to serve a drink as it was intended to be made, by those who discovered them, all those years ago.

Now, the numbers that I give are strictly for the drinks and bartenders. They do have food, and although it is as good as any for the price, I only eat here to keep from getting drunk too fast. The waitresses are fine but, again, sit at the bar and for Pete's sake don't order a beer. I kept myself from reviewing this place since I don't want more people crowding in, but it seems there's no helping the matter. Between Western and Alaskan where Pike should be. Here are the scores; I follow the Zagat format.

Drinks(not food): 30
Decor: 20
Service: 30
Cost: Couple of drinks $25, Full on drunk $40

http://zigzagseattle.com/
206-625-1146

No comments: